CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Series of Unfortunate Events with a Happy Ending.

Sorry about the long story but there is really no way to shorten it.

What started out as being routinely induced went the exact opposite direction. On Saturday Nonember 22nd we got to the hospital at 9:00am and they started me on pitocin. By about 2:00pm I couldn't take the pain of the contractions and back labor so I got the epidural. I was feeling great and the nurse checked me and I was dialated to 7cm and 100% effaced. About 10 minutes later my nurse came back in saying that they werent catching the baby's hear rate right and decided to check me. I had been feeling preasure but not necessarily the urge to push. My nurse checked me and thats where it all changed. I was complete 10cm and ready to push but they discovered that she was breach. The doctor quickly came in to double check with the ultrasound and sure enough. I was immediately in tears. Jason was great and comforting me. They quickly got everything ready to do and emergency c section and 10 minutes later I was in surgery. They got the baby out fine but since the baby was down in my pelvis so far the doctor had to get down pretty far to pick the baby up out of my pelvis and in the process it tore my uteris. There was lots of bleeding and it took the doctor a while to get me fixed up. We thought we were out of the woods but then after they had transfered me to post partum my nurses discovered that I was still bleeding alot and my doctor was quickly called back in. She quickly decided I needed to go back to surgery. My baby was rushed back to the nursery and I was back in surgery. They had to readminister the epidural and by that time I had lost so much blood that I was laying on the operating table on the verge of passing out and was gasping for air. I honestly could not breath. Its so hard to describe the feelings I was having. I was in tears. I was honestly so afraid that I was going to pass out from all the blood loss and die. As it turns out there was some more tearing that the doctor didn't see at first. Once again they fixed me up and I was sent to ICU where they could take better care of me. They put me on blood transfusions, platelates and plasma from all the blood loss. The next morning they did a CT Scan to make sure there wasn't any more bleeding internally and noticed that part of my ureter tube was obstructed. (The ureter tube is the tube that connects the bladder to the kidney) On Tuesday they I had to have a nephrostomy tube placed in by back to drain my kidney. On wednesday they put in a stent to internalize the tube and help open the obstructed uretar tube. I spent two nights in ICU and by Tuesday afternoon was back in post partum with my baby. I was only able to spend a couple of hours with my baby before the madness occured. My baby spent the first 3 days of her life in the nursery with Jason in and out checking on her and being with me as much as much as he could. I'm so thankful for my wonderful husband and his unfailing faith that everything would be okay in the end because I sure had my doubts. In situations like these you sure learn to have faith and trust in Heavenly Father.


We decided to name the baby Madelyn Anne Johnson. She weighs 7lbs 7ozs and is 19 1/2 inches long.


I had great nurses while I was in the ICU and when I was stable enough to get out of bed they took up to the nursery to see Madelyn. (Definately not the best picture of me)



As soon as I saw her I was in tears. It was like I was seeing her for the first time even though she was 3 days old.



Finally we made it back to post partum and I was able to be with Madelyn.






She had just finished her bottle. Can you tell; she was feeling good having a full tummy.


I have to thank my parents for being there for our kids while Jason was with me in the hospital. My parents were great with the kids and the kids sure had a great time with Grandma and Grandpa.

Grandma and Grandpa took the kids to visit us as often as they could. But while I was in the hospital everyone took there turn having the 24 hour flu bug. The girls were always so excited to come and visit so thy could hold their new baby sister Maddy.


Poor Adam was traumatized comeing to see me while I was in the hospital. When they first came to see me I was in the ICU and was looking pretty pale and hooked up to wires and such. He took one look at me and started to cry and just burried his head in my dad's shoulder so he wouldn't see me. It made me cry too. Ater they came to see me when I was back in postpartum he warmed up a little and started to play peek a boo and play in the curtains.

When we got home Adam did great at being curious about Maddy and gentle.


We made it home just in time for thanksgiving dinner. Thank you Mom, Dad, Mikey, Terie, and Morgan for cooking a wonderful thanksgiving dinner. It was great food and company. We couldn't have gotten through any of this without you.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are home and improving. We hope the best for you. Your new little girl is beautiful. All your kids are sooo cute.

Wooden said...

We are so glad that you are doing better. It was good to be able to spend some time with both of you and Madelyn! You guys are awesome.

The Bjurstrom Family said...

Karen called and told me about you. I don't have any of your new contact info, so I couldn't call. You were in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad that you are home and all is well. I need your new address so I can send a Christmas car:)

The Bjurstrom Family said...

Not a car, but a card:)

Anonymous said...

*hug* Gosh, I am so glad you are doing alright now! I called your mom and Lori worried about you! Your blessed with such a supportive family and I wanted you to know I've been thinking of you and the baby. She is sooooo pretty. You guys make them always so precious, I wish I was there to hold her. :) The name you picked is PERFECT! That's my mom's fav. Hang in there Les, and take it real slow for a while. I wish I was your neighbor again to help out and take your little ones off your hands or make you a dinner. :( But you'll have to settle for a couple of cards instead. Keep looking in your mail box (or send someone out to pick it up!)
I'll contact you shortly after you've had a long while to recover. Hope to see you soon!

Michele said...

I heard that you were not doing well after a c- section. I'm glad to hear that you are home now and recovering. What a scary experience to go through. I hope you and your family have a great Christmas season with your new little one. She sure is a cutie!

Ryan and Rachel said...

Les, I am so happy to know that you are ok...my goodness, what an experience. It brought tears to my eyes to read it...so scary. I am grateful all ended well. Maddy is so adorable, she looks so much like Brianna. I can't wait to see her!

Emilie said...

Hooray to be home and healing!! Maddy is adorable...seriously, a mini-Brianna :) Can't wait for Myles and Madelyn to "hang out" at Christmas. They'll be good pals :)

Teresa Strum said...

I am so glad that you are okay leslie!!! You have been in our prayers. Madelyn is beautiful! Take it easy and hope you continue to feel better. Thanks for sharing all the pictures!

cari said...

I'm so glad that you are doing better. You had us all scared. You have a beautiful family. Congrats. Hope you have a great Christmas.